NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Citigroup (C) is sparing no expense when it comes to booting people out of their homes, apparently providing warm towels and restaurant recommendations after taking away the keys from borrowers who have failed to pay their mortgages.
During a media conference call following Citigroup's release of its second quarter earnings results, CFO John Gerspach said ongoing cost estimates related to foreclosures have roughly doubled since the previous quarter.
Citigroup now estimates those costs at $70 million to $80 million annually.
"We need to add a few more people here and there to provide the concierge service now that you need to provide to people when you give everybody their own rep," Gerspach said, explaining the higher estimate.A Citigroup spokesman declined to elaborate on what was included in the "concierge service." Citigroup is widely considered to have far less mortgage-related risk than rivals like Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), and Wells Fargo (WFC). Still, Gerspach says mortgages are "the biggest risk that we run right now, and that's why I'm very thankful that we have such a small exposure to it." -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV