Stock Gains Muted Amid Fretting Over Debt
Stocks, however, pared earlier gains after consumer sentiment sunk to its lowest level in two years, according to the University of Michigan's preliminary reading. The consumer sentiment index is an important measure since consumers spend more when they feel confident in the economy and strong consumer spending is crucial to a sustainable U.S. economic recovery. The consumer sentiment index fell to 63.8, from June's level of 71.5. Economists had been projecting a milder decline, to a reading of 71.4, according to Briefing.com.
Shortly after results from the European bank stress tests were released, the Italian parliament passed its austerity budget, leading the euro to trade 0.01% higher against the greenback. The dollar index weakened 0.06%.
The FTSE in London shed 0.06%, while the DAX in Frankfurt added by 0.07%. Hong Kong's Hang Seng shed 0.3% while Japan's Nikkei gained 0.4%.Other macroeconomic releases from the morning got minimal reaction from the market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV