Icahn made a $12.6 billion acquisition bid for Clorox, according to a regulatory filing early Friday that indicates he's proposed to purchase the company for $76.50 per share.
In the letter Icahn sent to Clorox CEO Donald Knauss in which he made the bid, he also encouraged the company to shop around for a better offer as well, which of course has the potential to greatly increase the value of his investment. Entities controlled by Icahn own roughly 9.4% of Clorox's outstanding common stock, making him the company's largest shareholder. Icahn wrote to Knauss that he was confident Clorox would receive "numerous superior bids." He tapped consumer products makers Procter & Gamble (PG), Unilever (UN) and Colgate-Palmolive (CL) as possible "strategic buyers."
"We are in a unique position as your largest shareholder in that we are wearing two hats - one as a shareholder and another as a buyer," Icahn wrote in the letter. Clorox shares soared 10.5% in premarket trading Friday morning. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV