10 Bricks-and-Mortar Stores That Beat Online
6. Specialty apparel retailers
Specialty retailers, where there is a strong product-and-service bundle and the service is the big difference, are another form of establishment that won't soon be relegated to Web-only.
Bridal gowns and men's suits, "where trying it on matters and the service of alteration matters," Lobaugh says, are two examples of specialty apparel retailer.
Another example: Jimmy Au's for Men 5'8'' and Under labels itself as the only short men's designer in the U.S. The store began by targeting jockeys and now caters to height-challenged men in entertainment and Hollywood."You have to gather good information about your customers and build a relationship," Alan Au says. "I know what most of my customers do for a living. I know their spouse's names."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV