Commerce Bancshares (CBSH), headquartered in Kansas City, operates in the Southwest. With a near-$4 billion market capitalization, this larger regional player may be ripe for an acquisition. Shares are not cheap, trading for 1.8 times book value, but the bank is profitable, and its some 400 branches may be attractive to one of the bigger national banks.
Possibly reflecting the takeover potential of the stock, investors have bid up shares this year. Commerce is up a solid 8% in 2011, easily outperforming other banks and tracking closely with the performance of the overall market. I find the move higher in the stock a bit surprising, considering profit growth in 2011 is expected to slow to 12%. 2010 profits of $2.52 per share were 27% higher than in the year prior. For the current year, the average Wall Street estimate for earnings is $2.83 per share.Related: Top-Rated Regional Bank Stocks 12% growth is nothing to sneeze at, but given the relatively steep valuation for the stock -- shares currently trade for 15 times 2011 estimated earnings -- one could expect a bit more. Even more worrisome would be that profit growth from 2011 to 2012 is expected to slow even further to 6%. Wall Street firm Morgan Keegan rates Commerce shares at outperform. I would prefer owning the stock at a lower price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV