After all, commercial airplanes, visible at every major airport in the world, have created one of the world's best known and most successful companies.
But in fact, exactly half of the company is defense-oriented.
In 2010, for example, Boeing revenues totaled $64.3 billion, including $31.8 billion from commercial airplanes and $31.9 billion from defense, space and security. Earnings from operations totaled $5 billion, including $3 billion from commercial airplanes and $2.9 billion from defense, space and security.While Boeing Commercial Airlines is based in Everett, Wash., Boeing Defense, Space and Security sits near St. Louis, formerly the headquarters of McDonnell Douglas, which merged with Boeing in 1997. The division has major operations in California and Washington as well as St. Louis. Typically, the methodology of Boeing and other defense contractors is to develop products for the U.S. military, because the U.S. spends as much on defense as the entire rest of the world combined. Once those products are developed, they can be refined and marketed to international customers including -- in the case of the Chinook helicopter -- civilian customers. Read on for Boeing's top six military products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV