Debt Ceiling Deal a Prelude to Ultimate Default
Ever more Americans are employed in tasks that permit folks to work until age 70. Somehow, we have gotten into our heads work is bad for old people -- it's not. A good diet, exercise and work everyday are the best Rx for health and happiness.
Readers tell me many blue-collar workers can't work past 60. We can't accommodate the entire retirement system for what is each year a smaller share of the workforce. Instead, find physically less stressful work for older blue-collar workers.
Payroll taxes are already too high and destroying jobs. Raising the retirement age to 70 -- then indexing to longevity -- would both make the system solvent and permit some permanent reductions in payroll taxes.
Don't expect the president to ask Americans to eat those peas anytime soon.Instead, presidents and pundits will make excuses for slow growth that doesn't have to be. Americans will feast on budget deficits and debt ceiling crises after the next election, and the next, until like Greece, the U.S. finds no way out but default.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV