"The magnitude of the API crude build released on Tuesday head faked the market into expecting at least a build of some kind, and when this wasn't the case, prices rallied -- despite the soft underbelly to the numbers," said Smith.
Analysts attribute the discrepancy to the limited and voluntary contributions from various elements of the supply chain to the API surveys vs. the mandatory contributions to the EIA surveys.
The API surveys "tend to be skewed toward the large integrated companies like the Exxons, ConocoPhillips', Shells and BPs, said Kloza. It's been representing "upstream interest more than downstream and trading interests."
By the end of the trading session, the softer underbelly of the EIA report began to regain some attention as the initial excitement over Bernanke's comments, the China data and the more bullish aspects of the EIA data subsided.Evans noted that although the 3.1 million barrels decline in U.S. commercial crude stocks was more than expected and the 800,000 barrels decline in gasoline stocks was supportive, total petroleum inventories actually rose by 4.3 million barrels and demand was soft. Separately, the International Energy Agency said that oil demand should continue to grow in the months ahead and that it may release more crude oil into the market at its meeting next week. Energy stocks ended in positive territory. Suncor Energy (SU) rose 1.1% to close at $39.68, Imperial Oil (IMO) added 2.1% at $46.47, Exxon (XOM) increased 0.7% to $82.48, BP (BP) gained 0.7% to $43.74, Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) advanced 1% to $71.14, Triangle Petroleum Corporation (TPLM) rose 0.7% to $6.79 and Kodiak Oil & Gas (KOG) increased 1.9% to $6.30. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV