Yum!, the operator of Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut restaurant chains, said same-store sales -- or sales at stores open at least one year, a closely watched metric in the restaurant industry -- grew 18% in China but fell 4% in the U.S. Analysts had expected the key line item to grow 11% in China and to fall 1.6% in the U.S.
Yum!'s stock traded heavily ahead of its report. Nearly 5.3 million shares changed hands in Wednesday's session, compared with their average daily volume of just 3.5 million. The stock closed higher by 1.1% at $55.58, and gained another 3.4% in after-hours trading.
After-hours gains also came as a result of Yum! lifting its full-year profit growth forecast "to at least 12% based on the continued strength of our international businesses," CEO David C. Novak said. That would translate to earnings of at least $2.83 a share, excluding items, for the year. That's in line with the current average analysts' view, according to Thomson Reuters data. Yum! booked a 10.5% jump in second-quarter earnings to $316 million, or 65 cents per share, compared with year-earlier earnings of $286 million, or 59 cents a share. Total revenue rose 9.7% to $2.82 billion from $2.57 billion a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV