BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Investors looking to tap into China's rapid economic growth are smart to buy U.S. companies in the S&P 500 like Qualcomm (QCOM) and Yum! Brands (YUM), which derive a large chunk of their revenue from eastern Asia.
China's economic growth slowed to 9.5% in the second quarter from 9.7% in the first. Still, U.S. gross domestic product expanded only 1.9% in the first quarter, according to the most recent report. In other words, China is growing at five times the rate of the U.S., the world's biggest economy.
Investors had grown worried that five straight interest-rate increases would slow the booming growth in the country, and Wednesday's report helped allay some of those concerns and push Asian markets higher.
While the encouraging data from China will likely mean more increases to reserve requirements, which would put a damper on banks' ability to lend, it has also been a welcome distraction from eurozone debt issues. On Tuesday, Moody's downgraded Ireland's government bonds to "junk" status. Fears that Italy, the eurozone's third-largest economy, will be the next country to falter have also put pressure on global markets.For U.S. investors looking to get into China -- or stay there -- one way would be to look at S&P 500 companies that generate much of their sales from the region. The 10 companies with the highest quarterly geographic segment revenue from China are presented below, ranked by the percentage compared to total quarterly revenue.
10. Teradyne (TER) Company Profile: Teradyne provides application of systems technology to practical problems in the design, production and servicing of electronics. Current Share Price: $14.04 Revenue from China Region: About $30 million, or 8% of total revenue, according to Teradyne's latest earnings release in April. Overall, the company had $377.2 million in revenue during the first quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV