Rating Change #8
Penn National Gaming (PENN) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $102.29 million or 9.12% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -4.15%.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry average. The net income increased by 42.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $36.16 million to $51.53 million.
- PENN NATIONAL GAMING INC has improved earnings per share by 41.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PENN NATIONAL GAMING INC continued to lose money by earning -$1.08 versus -$3.69 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.71 versus -$1.08).
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 41.17% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 83.55% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, PENN should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
Penn National Gaming, Inc. and its subsidiaries own and manage gaming and pari-mutuel properties in the United States. Penn National Gaming has a market cap of $3.2 billion and is part of the services sector and leisure industry. Shares are up 18.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.You can view the full Penn National Gaming Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV