Updated from 2:41 p.m. ET with information on Alcoa's report, a warning in the semiconductor sector.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Before the employment picture went dim (again), and European debt contagion fears burst back onto the scene, it seemed Wall Street was pretty bullish about second-quarter earnings season.
Not so much anymore. Slowly but surely, analyst expectations have been coming down. More worrisome perhaps is that warning season was a whopper. According to Thomson Reuters data, 84 companies in the S&P 500 have already issued negative preannouncements about their second-quarter results, roughly 17% of the index, vs. 33 positive preannouncements.
That makes for a 2.6 negative/positive ratio, which Thomson Reuters says compares to ratios of 1.2 and 1.8 for last year's second quarter and 2011's first quarter, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV