BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Alcoa (AA), the largest U.S. producer of aluminum, kicks off the quarterly earnings-reporting season after the closing bell today. That's the signal for investors to prepare for a flurry of financial reports this week. Those with holdings of stocks under $5 need to be especially well-prepared.
Trading in stocks under $5 can already be volatile due to a myriad of reasons, from a small number of shares outstanding to scant analyst coverage to speculation on rapid growth. Earnings results can also lead to big swings in share price. For example, Oilsands Quest (BQI) shares have fallen more than 21% since the company reported operating results July 6.
TheStreet narrowed the list of companies investors should be watching to 10, ranked by market value, based on Bloomberg's earnings-release schedule. The list includes stocks currently trading on the New York Stock Exchange, Nasdaq and the NYSE Amex.
10. Simulations Plus (SLP) Company Profile: Simulations Plus is a developer of drug discovery and development simulation and modeling software. Earnings Reporting Date: July 14 (unconfirmed) Current Share Price: $2.97 2011 Share Price Performance: 10.4% Analyst Ratings: Taglich Brothers is the only research firm with coverage of Simulations Plus, rating the stock a "speculative buy" with a $4.05 price target. What To Watch For: Simulations Plus already reported preliminary results for its fiscal third quarter, although the company did not release net income figures due to uncertainty of income taxes. Simulations Plus did say that the company was profitable for a 15th straight quarter, and that revenue rose 10% from a year ago to $3.4 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV