Kass: Sell Stocks
The notion of a self-sustaining and smooth recovery in the U.S. is in jeopardy and is now further complicated by the sovereign debt contagion in the eurozone, which, too, is being addressed by kicking the can in a temporary but not meaningful way.
In the final analysis, the budget impasse in the U.S. will be "resolved" but only with some more can kicking.
As to the U.S. stock market viewed as a leading indicator of growth, that is bogus, too. In 2002, 2007 and in the first half of 2010, the direction of the U.S. stock market gave the wrong signals on the direction of economic growth. Stated simply, the recent two-week rally in stocks is, too, giving the wrong signal of smooth and self-sustaining growth.
Over the weekend, I received numerous emails from some of my more thoughtful friends in the investment business. With few exceptions, they have acquiesced to the strong price momentum of stocks. Some saw the rally as a "good overbought," and many remarked that skepticism remained high and that, until there was a more pronounced shift to optimism, stocks would continue to rise. Others expressed the view that stocks have discounted the problems and, with inflation "low" and interest rates near zero, stocks were cheap and the best house in a bad neighborhood. Some were even more honest and simply said that their investors paid them to be long not to be skeptical, especially when stocks were rising. (In other words, don't fight the tape.)It should be noted, however, that sentiment has shifted to a more optimistic mood with advancing share prices:
- The AAII individual investor survey is at five-month high (42% bullish/26% bearish).
- The CBOE 10-day put/call ratio has fallen from 1.15 to 0.92.
- ISI's hedge fund study indicates a swift and sudden rise in net long positions in the past seven days (from 49.4% to 52.6%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV