NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- While the broad market recovered some of its earlier losses it remained a dismal day for the financial sector, with BB&T Corp. (BBT) the big loser, as shares gave up over 3% to close at $26.09.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the U.S. economy added only 18,000 new jobs in June, running counter to ADP's report Thursday that private-sector payrolls had increased by 157,000 jobs last month.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics also said that the financial sector had trimmed 15,000 jobs in June, after adding 14,000 in July.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was off 2%, to 48.34, with all 24 components of the index declining for the day.Huntington Bancshares (HBAN), which was down over 3% to $6.53, more than whipping out the stock's gains from the previous session. Large banks closing out the week with share price declines of over 2% included Bank of New York Mellon (BK), which closed at $25.80; Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB), closing at $12.56; and SunTrust (STI), which closed at $25.67. Bank of America (BAC) declined 2% to $10.71, following a Reuters report -- citing Sanford Bernstein -- that the company would take an additional $13 billion in charges, beyond the $8.5 billion settlement mortgage putback claims with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and a group of private an investors, announced in late June. Sanford Bernstein expects Bank of America to post a second-quarter net loss of 67 cents a share, when the company reports its second-quarter results on July 19.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV