NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Brigus Gold (BRD), Vale (VALE) and Alcoa (AA) are among a few mining stocks that outperformed the S&P 500 Metals and Mining Index this week gaining 4% to 11%, compared to a 2.1% increase registered by the index. These stocks closed in green, driven by strong company fundamentals.
Among the week's laggards, Compania de Minas Buenaventura (BVN) eroded 4.1%. Allegheny Technologies (ATI) followed, declining 3.2%. Solitario Exploration & Royalty (XPL) and James River Coal (JRCC) shed 2.1% and 1.7%, respectively.
Below, the five winners are ordered in terms of one-week returns, lowest to highest.
5. Alcoa (AA) engages in the production and management of aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina combined, participating in mining, refining, smelting, fabricating and recycling. The company has investments and operating activities in China, Australia, Brazil, Guinea, Iceland, Russia and Saudi Arabia. The stock gained 4.2% during the week. Alcoa is scheduled to release its second quarter 2011 earnings on July 11. Analysts foresee positive results on strong aluminum demand. Alcoa has just entered into a deal to supply advanced-generation aluminum alloy products to Airbus, resulting in new orders worth almost $15.6 billion at the Paris Air Show. The aluminum giant is expected to report earnings per share of 32 cents, improving from 28 cents in 2011 first quarter. Alcoa and Ma'aden secured a $1 billion loan from Public Investment Funds for phase II of an aluminum project in Saudi Arabia. The project is a part of the $10 billion Ma'aden-Alcoa joint venture that includes the construction of an aluminum smelter and rolling mill at Ras Az Zawr. Of the 18 analysts covering the stock, 56% recommend a buy and 28% rate it a hold. On average, analysts estimate 19.5% upside to $19.71 in value from current levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV