NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Brigus Gold (BRD), Vale (VALE - Get Report) and Alcoa (AA - Get Report) are among a few mining stocks that outperformed the S&P 500 Metals and Mining Index this week gaining 4% to 11%, compared to a 2.1% increase registered by the index. These stocks closed in green, driven by strong company fundamentals.
Among the week's laggards, Compania de Minas Buenaventura (BVN) eroded 4.1%. Allegheny Technologies (ATI) followed, declining 3.2%. Solitario Exploration & Royalty (XPL) and James River Coal (JRCC) shed 2.1% and 1.7%, respectively.
Below, the five winners are ordered in terms of one-week returns, lowest to highest.
5. Alcoa (AA - Get Report) engages in the production and management of aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina combined, participating in mining, refining, smelting, fabricating and recycling. The company has investments and operating activities in China, Australia, Brazil, Guinea, Iceland, Russia and Saudi Arabia. The stock gained 4.2% during the week. Alcoa is scheduled to release its second quarter 2011 earnings on July 11. Analysts foresee positive results on strong aluminum demand. Alcoa has just entered into a deal to supply advanced-generation aluminum alloy products to Airbus, resulting in new orders worth almost $15.6 billion at the Paris Air Show. The aluminum giant is expected to report earnings per share of 32 cents, improving from 28 cents in 2011 first quarter. Alcoa and Ma'aden secured a $1 billion loan from Public Investment Funds for phase II of an aluminum project in Saudi Arabia. The project is a part of the $10 billion Ma'aden-Alcoa joint venture that includes the construction of an aluminum smelter and rolling mill at Ras Az Zawr. Of the 18 analysts covering the stock, 56% recommend a buy and 28% rate it a hold. On average, analysts estimate 19.5% upside to $19.71 in value from current levels.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts