SPDR S&P 500 ETF
Before we get into any new names, though, I want to revisit a recommendation from last week that's still very relevant from anyone who has skin in the game right now. I'm talking about the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY), a fund that essentially mirrors the S&P 500 index. Last week, I said that "with the S&P bouncing, it looks like a good time to 'buy' the broad market" by picking up units of SPY.
That turned out to be a good move -- the ETF has rallied 6.78% in those last five trading days.
Now, though, investors and traders alike are wondering how much longer the rally can last. With the S&P breaking hard above its past 1,345 resistance level, I think that the index stands a solid shot at taking out previous highs in July. To do that, we'll want to see the index settle a bit -- it's looking pretty overbought now. Some sideways consolidation would do the trick without forfeiting any recent gains.As long as the S&P can hold its head above its 200-day moving average, I'd be a net buyer of stocks. Related: 10 Best-Performing S&P 500 Stocks of 2011
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV