4. St. Joe Melts
It's summertime in Florida and the battle over St. Joe (JOE) is once again heating up. St. Joe's bullish chairman Bruce Berkowitz is telling investors not to sweat an inquiry by the Securities and Exchange Commission. Meanwhile, his hedge fund manager nemesis David Einhorn is playing it cool while shorting the stock.
As for us, we think this war over Northern Florida's largest landowner has officially boiled over into foolishness. And as everybody knows, that's our territory.
Berkowitz, the formerly market-beating manager of the Fairholme Fund (FAIRX) who bullied his way onto St. Joe's board in March, told Bloomberg there is "not a lot new" in last week's announcement of a formal investigation into the company's business practices.Berkowitz said he made the call to disclose the probe which "covers a variety of matters", including internal controls and financial reports, so that he would not be hindered in resuming a stock-purchase program. Lucky for him. He can now buy the stock a whole lot cheaper. Shares of the company sank more than 9% on Tuesday, the first day of trading after news of the investigation was released. It was also lucky for Greenlight Capital's Einhorn. Einhorn, who famously called Lehman's demise, e-mailed Bloomberg that he "would love to see
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV