Our goal in this profile is to help investors wade through the many competing ETF offerings available. Using our long experience as an ETF publication, we can help select those ETFs that matter and may not be repetitive. The result is a more manageable list of issues from which to choose from.
There are currently less than 20 ETFs oriented to the alternative energy sector. Many are struggling to gain AUM (Assets under Management) and performance success. Some may not succeed as new technologies come and go. Previously nuclear energy held great promise until the Fukushima plant disaster despite its age and unique circumstances blunted growth in the sector.
The following analysis features a fair representation of ETFs available. We believe from these, investors may choose an appropriate ETF to satisfy the best index-based offerings individuals and financial advisors may utilize.
We're not ranking these ETFs favoring one over another so don't let the listing order mislead you. Although we may use some of these in ETF Digest portfolios it's not our intention to recommend one over another.
ETFs are based on indices tied to well-known index providers including Russell, S&P, Barclays, MSCI, Dow Jones and so forth. Also included are some so-called "enhanced" indexes that attempt to achieve better performance through more active management of the index.
Where competitive issues exist and/or repetitive issues available at a superior fee cost saving we mention those as other choices.
PBW (PowerShares WilderHill Clean Energy ETF) is based on the WilderHill Energy Index. It seeks to focus on green energy technologies generally from renewable sources of energy. It was launched March 2005 and I was pleased to interview Professor Wilder then. It is the oldest of the alternative energy ETF issues. The expense ratio is .60%. AUM (Assets under Management) equal $468M and average daily trading volume is around 345K shares. As of July 1, 2011 the dividend is negligible and YTD performance is -12.51%. Data as of June 2011
PBW Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- SunPower Corporation (SPWRA): 2.71%
- Molycorp, Inc. (MCP): 2.65%
- Ameresco, Inc. (AMRC): 2.45%
- Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA): 2.38%
- Rare Element Resources Ltd. (REE): 2.38%
- Amerigon, Inc. (ARGN): 2.33%
- Fuel Systems Solutions, Inc. (FSYS): 2.33%
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera De Chile SA ADR (SQM): 2.27%
- Rubicon Technology, Inc. (RBCN): 2.22%
- Polypore International, Inc. (PPO): 2.17%
Data as of 2011-06-03
PUW Top Ten Holdings
- Westport Innovations (WPRT): 2.64%
- Rockwood Holdings, Inc. (ROC): 2.37%
- Clean Energy Fuels Corporation (CLNE): 2.33%
- GrafTech International, Inc. (GTI): 2.32%
- Hexcel Corporation (HXL): 2.26%
- Altra Holdings, Inc. (AIMC): 2.23%
- General Cable Corporation (BGC): 2.23%
- Siemens AG ADR (SI): 2.23%
- Owens-Corning, Inc. (OC): 2.20%
- Energizer Holdings, Inc. (ENR): 2.20%
Data as of June 2011
PBD Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Enel Green Power S.p.A. (EGPW): 1.95%
- Energy Development (EDC) Corporation: 1.90%
- Contact Energy Limited (CEN-NZ): 1.86%
- SunPower Corporation (SPWRA): 1.83%
- GCL-Poly Energy Holdings Limited (03800): 1.76%
- Verbund AG (VER): 1.72%
- Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA): 1.68%
- Ormat Technologies, Inc. (ORA): 1.68%
- Meyer Burger Technology AG (MBTN): 1.65%
- Edf Energies Nouvelles (EEN): 1.55%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV