NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Simon Property Group (SPG), General Growth Properties (GGP) and Kimco Realty (KIM) were among the real estate investment trusts trading higher Thursday following a round of stronger-than-expected retail sales.
Standard & Poor's Equity Research REITs analyst Robert McMillan noted that "several retailers reported surprisingly strong retail sales."
Strong retail sales bode well for REITs that invest in shopping malls and community shopping centers. Positive results on Thursday allowed McMillan to raise his 12-month price target on Simon Property Group by $10 to $135 "in anticipation that demand for space in SPG's centers and rents will continue to increase over the next 12-18 months."
Shares of Simon Property rose 1% to $121.43 on Thursday. Kimco gained 1.2% to $19.31 and General Growth added almost 2% to $17.28.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV