NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Simon Property Group (SPG), General Growth Properties (GGP) and Kimco Realty (KIM) were among the real estate investment trusts trading higher Thursday following a round of stronger-than-expected retail sales.
Standard & Poor's Equity Research REITs analyst Robert McMillan noted that "several retailers reported surprisingly strong retail sales."
Strong retail sales bode well for REITs that invest in shopping malls and community shopping centers. Positive results on Thursday allowed McMillan to raise his 12-month price target on Simon Property Group by $10 to $135 "in anticipation that demand for space in SPG's centers and rents will continue to increase over the next 12-18 months."
Shares of Simon Property rose 1% to $121.43 on Thursday. Kimco gained 1.2% to $19.31 and General Growth added almost 2% to $17.28.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV