2. News Corporation (NWSA - Get Report) is a diversified global media company operating in segments like filmed entertainment, television, cable network programming, newspapers, information services, publishing and others.
Operating income for the third quarter ended March 31 was $1.06 billion vs. $1.25 billion reported a year ago. A $125 million pre-tax charge related to the settlement of litigation at its Integrated Marketing Services segment weighed on the results. Third quarter 2010 financial results recognized the extraordinary contribution made by Oscar-winning movie Avatar to its filmed entertainment business, boosting operating income last year.
After the first quarter of 2011, Rupert Murdoch, CEO, said, "I'm particularly pleased that our Television segment, viewed by the market just one year ago as a challenged business, more than quadrupled its earnings contributions over the prior year quarter. And our largest earnings generator, Cable Networks, increased earnings 25% on 13% revenue growth. I fully expect these vibrant businesses to continue driving future profit growth for News Corporation and to ensure our strength in the years ahead."The stock is trading at 16 times its estimated 2011 earnings and analysts expect 15% upside over the next one year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts