MELBOURNE, Australia, July 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
- Mesoblast's first Phase 3 trial submission cleared by United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Rapid clearance (within 30 days) further validation of Mesoblast's clinical, regulatory, and manufacturing capabilities
- Mesoblast's proprietary adult stem cells expand hematopoietic precursor cells in umbilical cord blood 40-fold, enabling rapid bone marrow reconstitution with lowered risk of life-threatening Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
- Mesoblast's novel clinical approach could make the use of bone marrow transplantation available to all those in need of the procedure but who currently cannot find a donor, without the need for full matching
- Commercial opportunity based on potential to increase the total number of unrelated donor transplants performed globally by three- to four-fold
- This product may be the first of Mesoblast's revenue generating biologic therapies in both the US and Europe
Global regenerative medicine company Mesoblast Limited (ASX:MSB; OTC ADR: MBLTY) today announced that it has received clearance from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to begin a Phase 3 clinical trial for bone marrow regeneration in patients with blood cancers. FDA clearance was obtained within the 30-day minimum time period after Mesoblast filed its Phase 3 Investigational New Drug (IND) submission.
The Phase 3 trial will aim to reproduce the positive pilot trial results seen at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer, where accelerated neutrophil and platelet recoveries, together with excellent 100-day patient survival and low GVHD rates, occurred in patients receiving partially mismatched hematopoietic cells from umbilical cord blood expanded by Mesoblast's proprietary allogeneic or 'off-the-shelf' mesenchymal precursor cells (MPCs).Mesoblast's off-the-shelf MPCs are being developed under an Orphan Drug Designation granted for the condition of insufficient hematopoietic stem cell production in patients with hematologic malignancies who have failed treatment with conventional chemotherapy. Such patients are in need of bone marrow transplantation using hematopoietic stem cells that are of either autologous (patient's own) or allogeneic (unrelated donor, e.g. blood from other adults or umbilical cord) origin. Mesoblast's MPCs may potentially be used for expansion of both autologous and allogeneic hematopoietic stem cells for subsequent transplantation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV