Penford Corporation (Nasdaq: PENX), a leader in renewable ingredient systems for industrial and food applications, today reported that consolidated sales for the quarter ended May 31, 2011 increased 38% to $85.2 million from $61.9 million a year ago. Loss from continuing operations was $0.7 million, or $0.06 per diluted share, for the quarter ended May 31, 2011 compared with a loss from continuing operations of $5.8 million, or $0.49 per diluted share last year. Third quarter fiscal 2011 results reflect an increase in accounts receivable reserve of $0.6 million in the Industrial Ingredients business.
A table summarizing quarterly financial results is shown below:
|Penford Corporation – Financial Highlights|
|(In thousands)||Q3 FY11||Q2 FY11||Q1 FY11||Q4 FY10||Q3 FY10|
|Operating income (loss)||(734||)||(1,103||)||142||(5,098||)||(6,847||)|
|Depreciation and amortization||2,712||2,696||2,713||2,716||2,709|
|Depreciation and amortization||510||553||561||555||564|
|Operating income (loss)||2,506||488||2,969||(2,796||)||(4,091||)|
|Depreciation and amortization||3,598||3,618||3,643||3,642||3,631|
Food Ingredients Third Quarter Fiscal 2011 Results
- Food Ingredients reported record quarterly sales of $23.6 million, up 19% from the prior year on growth in existing accounts and from new product introductions in the companion pet and gluten-free bakery segments.
- Gross margin improved 10% on new product gains and lower unit processing costs.
- Operating income reached an all-time quarterly record of $5.5 million compared with a previous record of $5.0 million one year ago.
Industrial Ingredients Third Quarter Fiscal 2011 Results
- Revenue increased 47% to a record $61.6 million from $42.0 million a year ago reflecting higher corn prices that were passed through to customers, additional ethanol volumes and growth of specialty starch-based additives. Industrial starch net average selling prices for calendar 2011 rose at double-digit levels from a year ago.
- Ethanol sales grew to $28.1 million from $14.6 million as spot prices for ethanol rose 65% from last year. Company results improved while industry crush margins were comparable to prior year as corn costs outpaced ethanol prices.
- Sales of specialty industrial starches grew by 33% from a year ago. This category includes the Company’s Liquid Natural Additive products and the novel technology launched in November to replace fluorochemicals in food packaging applications. The Company announced the introduction of PEN-COTE ® natural binder products last month that replace synthetic latex in coated paper and paperboard applications, including a newly available dry version.
- Segment gross margin expanded $6.5 million as increased prices, greater facility throughput rates and lower unit manufacturing costs offset higher raw material costs. Industry net corn costs more than doubled from a year ago.
- The operating loss of $0.7 million includes a $0.6 million charge to increase the accounts receivable reserve related to a paper industry customer that announced closure of its mill operations.
- Cash flow from operations was $1.7 million including a $4.4 million contribution to the Company’s pension plans.
- Interest expense, which includes dividends on preferred stock, was $2.4 million compared with $1.9 million last year.
- Income tax expense reflects the non-deductibility of dividends and discount accretion on preferred stock.
- Outstanding bank debt on the Company’s $60 million revolving credit facility was $22.9 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV