NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- There are people who can't stop crowing about how much they love the heat and wish it could be summer all year long. Then there are the people who want to strangle them.
As summer vacation season nears its midpoint, there's a certain segment of the population that would rather not sweat it out with the rest of the sun-soaked masses on the nation's beaches and boardwalk. This falls just short of blasphemy among the 86% of Americans who told Expedia (EXPE) travel site TripAdvisor that they planned on traveling this summer. Of that number, 40% say they'll be spending their summer by the ocean, another 16% will be hanging out by a lake and 50% will strap on the tourist socks and sandals and go sauntering through the nation's cities.
They'll be sweltering in just about each destination. Vacation rental site HomeAway (AWAY) found that the average summer traveler will spend more than $3,200 on a summer vacation this year, but will do so in hazy and humid spots such as Provincetown, Mass., Ocean City, Md., Myrtle Beach, S.C., Miami, and Gulf Shores, Ala. Those locales make up HomeAway's Top 5 summer vacation destinations and share space in the Top 10 with other literal hot spots including Bethany Beach, Del., Destin, Fla., New York City and Las Vegas.That's fine for those who work all year just to slather themselves in sunblock and stick their toes in the sand for a few weeks, but it means little to vacationing workers who wilt once the temperature tops 80 degrees. With some help from the seasonally sensitive folks at SmarterTravel and HomeAway, TheStreet came up with 10 summer destinations for travelers looking to beat the heat:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV