NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- June retail same-store sales expectations were mediocre heading into Thursday's results, but so far companies are topping forecasts.
June is typically the month when retailers up their discounts in an effort to make way for back-to-school merchandise. This, coupled with historically weak mall traffic, was expected to result in a choppy overall performance for the sector.
Ross Stores: (ROST) up 5%
Nordstrom: (JWN) up 7.9%Saks: (SKS) up 11.9% J.C. Penney (JCP) up 2% Macy's: (M) up 6.7% Target: (TGT) up 4.5% Buckle: (BKE) up 10.8% Gap: (GPS) up 1% BJ's Wholesale: (BJ) up 7.3% Wet Seal: (WTSLA) up 7.3% Dillard's: (DDS) up 6% Zumiez: (ZUMZ) up 9.8% Hot Topic: (HOTT) up 0.4% Limited Brands (LTD) up 12% Costco Wholesale (COST) up 14% - Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV