NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Transportation stocks helped the market book modest gains Wednesday as investors put global jitters on the backburner and looked ahead to a key jobs report and the start of earnings season.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average finished ahead by 56 points, or 0.4%, at 12,626. The S&P 500 gained 1 point, or 0.1%, 1339, and the Nasdaq Composite climbed up 8 points, or 0.3%, at 2834.
The gains allowed the broad market to build on last week's huge rally, which coincided with both the end of the calendar second quarter and the month of June. All three major indexes rose more than 5% last week, providing the majority of their year-to-date appreciation.
Within the transportation sector, freight carrier Arkansas Best (ABFS) climbed up 11% to $26.90 while container company Seaspan (SSW) gained 4% to $15.58. Trucking and logistics company Con-way (CNW) added 6% to $41.87 after restoring employee benefits. Breadth was positive within the Dow with 19 of the blue-chip index's 30 components moving higher. DuPont (DD), Caterpillar (CAT) and Intel (INTC) showed the strongest gains, while Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Walt Disney (DIS) were the biggest laggards. Stocks were under selling pressure from abroad early following news that China's central bank
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV