What is the bottom line here? All the logic points to Apple making an LTE iPad available no later than September or October. Perhaps it will be called the iPad 3, or perhaps iPad 2 LTE. Apple likes to keep things simple, which would point to iPad 3, but on the other hand nothing, or at least not much, would change to the WiFi-only version of the iPad 2. Perhaps including NFC in addition to LTE would point to calling it the iPad 3.
Later, some time between March 2012 and October 2012 -- probably later rather than sooner -- Apple would make the iPad 4 available, and its major feature would be the doubling of the screen resolution from 768 x 1024 to 1536 x 2048.
So there you have it: For the iPad, LTE could be available in a model refresh to happen in the next 90 days, whereas a doubling of the screen resolution will more likely follow one year after that. NFC could go either way, but market logic would suggest sooner rather than later.
I make it clear that all of this is pure speculation based on publicly available sources. I have not spoken to anybody at Apple, Apple's carrier partners, or Apple's suppliers.At the time of publication, Wahlman was long AAPL, RIMM and GOOG. Readers Also Like: >> 12 Androids Outmuscling Apple's iPhone >> Companies Getting Rich on Slim Jims, Spam
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV