The event: Phase III study of Stimuvax in non-small cell lung cancer.
The timeline: Results of an interim analysis in the second half of the year.
The stakes: A chance for a coveted place atop the cancer immunotherapy mountaintop (joining Dendreon and Bristol Myers-Squibb.) Stimuvax is designed to work by stimulating a patient's immune system to seek out and destroy cancer cells that express a protein known as MUC1. The phase III study is enrolling 1,400 patients with unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer, randomized to treatment with Stimuvax or a placebo.
An interim analysis will be conducted after 75% of deaths in the study have taken place, which the company estimates will happen in the second half of the year. Three scenarios are possible: 1) the study continues to a final analysis in 2012; 2) the Stimuvax survival benefit is so great that the study is stopped early with a big win; or 3) Stimuvax treatment isn't working at all and won't help patients live longer so the study is halted for futility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV