After reviewing 14 trials of the drug Chantix (varenicline), the researchers wrote that the drug's use was associated with a 72% risk of "serious adverse cardiovascular events."
The trials involved 8,216 participants and ranged in duration from seven to 52 weeks.
The researchers concluded that their analysis raises safety concerns about the use of the drug by tobacco users.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll They published their findings in the Canadian Medical Association Journal. The Food and Drug Administration recently placed a warning in the information that comes with the drug about additional cardiovascular risks for people already suffering from heart disease, according to a report by the BBC. A Pfizer representative said the company "disagreed with the interpretation of the data" used by the researchers," the BBC report said. Shares of Pfizer closed Friday up 15 cents at $20.75. U.S. stock markets were closed Monday in observance of Independence Day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV