Study Finds Couples at Odds Over Retirement
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Money squabbles are a perpetual source of friction among couples. New research by Fidelity Investments illustrates how differing expectations when it comes to retirement planning may be adding to that stress.
Fidelity surveyed 648 married couples, ages 46-75, to find where husbands and wives agreed, or didn't agree, on their knowledge, expectations and opinions about retirement. As part of that research, its financial advisers are also offering some advice to help ease potential friction.
|A study by Fidelity Investments shows retirement-related conflicts couples need to resolve.|
Finding: One-third of couples (33%) surveyed don't agree on lifestyle expectations in retirement.
Advice: Determine what you both want from retirement. Will you continue to work and live your current lifestyle? Do you dream of traveling? Where will you live?
Advice: Discuss with one another what age you would like to retire. Are you working toward an early retirement? Finding: Almost one-half of couples (47%) surveyed don't agree whether they'll work in retirement.
Advice: Before you can put a realistic retirement plan in place, it is important to understand if you will need to supplement retirement income with part-time work, or if you would like to work in retirement by choice. Finding: More than half (58%) of couples surveyed say one of the best pieces of advice they would give to newlyweds is to make all financial decisions together.
Advice: Be an active partner and joint decision-maker when it comes to financial planning; don't leave it all to one spouse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV