Frost & Sullivan's Gruia also points to the emergence of companies like RPX (RPXC), which offers "defensive patent buying" and "patent intelligence" on behalf of a growing number of tech companies, including Intel, Sony (SNE), Research In Motion (RIMM), Nokia and Juniper (JNPR).
RPX, based in San Francisco, went public last month, and Gruia says it and fellow patent specialist Acacia Research Group, part of Acacia Research Corp. (ACTG), reflect a bigger trend.
"It's interesting, because this market barely existed 10 years ago," said the analyst, noting that the so-called invention capital market is growing at a rate of 25% to 30% a year.
RPX is said to be involved in the Nortel auction, but the company declined to comment when contacted by TheStreet.As for Apple's ongoing patent battle with Samsung, General Patent Corp.'s Poltorak said that he would be amazed if the companies end up in front of a judge -- Apple is one of the Korean firm's biggest customers. "They can't afford to ruin that business relationship; it's symbiotic, it benefits both companies," he said, adding that the firms are indulging in some old-fashioned strategic bravado. "Both companies are positioning, they are posturing to get the best cross-licensing deal." --Written by James Rogers in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV