NEW YORK (TheStreet) - The big equities rally and shift in macroeconomic sentiment hasn't catapulted LED stocks out of their doldrums.
In fact, shares of two of the main LED lighting sector plays, Cree (CREE) and Rubicon Technology (RBCN), remain tethered near their 52-week lows, even as green energy stocks, by and large, and technology stocks have moved higher this week.
Both stocks are dominant forces at opposite ends of the LED spectrum. Cree is the bellwether in the LED lighting market, and is vertically integrated, makings its own LED chips and components. Rubicon manufactures the sapphire substrate used as the raw material by many LED manufacturers, with one notable exception being Cree.
The analyst ranks are showing the usual divide on these two LED stocks. Within a week, KeyBanc launched coverage of Cree with a buy rating, only to be followed by a Morgan Stanley note that said things will get worse for Cree before they get better in the second half of the year because of pricing and margin concerns. Cree headed south after the Morgan Stanley note, even though the note included more bullish commentary on overall LED market demand.Rubicon, meanwhile, continues to be a favorite of short investors who see nowhere for its high margins to go but down as competition increases in its niche. Cree shares have lost more than 20% in June, while Rubicon's stock is off about 25% for the month. Cree was up 3% to $33.41 in recent trades but it scraped a 52-week low of $32.40 earlier in the week. Rubicon is back above $17 in Thursday's session, enjoying a modest bounce since hitting a 52-week low of $15.51 on June 17. Are both of these LED stocks oversold and due for a rally? Is either Cree or Rubicon more likely to turn the corner and gain back investors before the other? Here are some keys to the outlook of both LED stocks as they struggle to break out of troughs in share price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV