Our goal in this profile is to help investors wade through the many competing ETF offerings available. Using our long experience as an ETF publication, we can help select those ETFs that matter and may not be repetitive. The result is a more manageable list of issues from which to choose from.
Currently there are nearly 40 ETFs oriented to the financial sector. The following analysis features our top selections of ETFs. We believe these constitute the best index-based offerings individuals and financial advisers may utilize.
ETFs are based on indexes tied to well-known index providers including Russell, S&P, Barclays, MSCI, Dow Jones and so forth. Also included are some so-called â¿¿enhancedâ¿ indexes that attempt to achieve better performance through more active management of the index.
The financial sector has become more volatile and controversial during the 2008-2011 periods owing primarily to the housing bubble bust and collapse of security products created to accommodate rising real estate prices. As investors know this collapse has led to bailouts and bankruptcies. Some believe the sector is on the mend, but current data doesnâ¿¿t necessarily support this view. Uncertainty as to a positive resolution of these issues remains a drag on the sector.
One thing youâ¿¿ll note with charts posted are the similarities in trends and performance from one to another. This isnâ¿¿t a coincidence given overall index constituent similarities. Further, the easy money policies of the Fed during the period covered have made performance results hardly distinguishable one from another.
There are catchall sectors like XLF covering the entire sector and individual areas like banking, brokering and insurance for investors wishing to isolate and target their focus.
XLF (SPDR Financial Sector ETF) tracks the overall S&P Financial Select Sector Index. The fund was launched in December 1998 and is the granddaddy of the sector. AUM (Assets under Management) exceeds $6.8 billion and average daily trading volume is 75M shares. There are leveraged inverse/long ETFs available through ProShares and Direxion and options which may enhance daily trading volume. The expense ratio is .20% and dividend is $.17 making the yield as of June 2011 around 1.10%. YTD performance for the same period -6.40% reflecting previously mentioned financial uncertainties.
Data as of June 2011
XLF Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM): 9.22%
- Wells Fargo Company (WFC): 8.00%
- Berkshire Hathaway Inc B (BRK.B): 7.32%
- Citigroup Inc (C): 6.40%
- Bank of America Corp DE (BAC): 6.36%
- Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (GS): 3.92%
- American Express Company (AXP): 2.89%
- U.S. Bancorp (USB): 2.63%
- MetLife Inc. (MET): 2.49%
- Morgan Stanley (MS): 2.00%
Data as of June 2011
KBE Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM): 8.56%
- Citigroup Inc (C): 6.79%
- Wells Fargo Company (WFC): 6.60%
- Bank of America Corp DE (BAC): 6.42%
- U.S. Bancorp (USB): 5.99%
- Huntington Bancshares, Inc. (HBAN): 4.88%
- Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB): 4.87%
- SunTrust Banks Inc (STI): 4.56%
- Capital One Financial Corporation (COF): 4.56%
- Regions Financial Corporation (RF): 4.55%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV