American Reportedly Plans Big Jet Order
FORT WORTH, Texas (TheStreet) -- American Airlines is in active talks with Airbus and Boeing (BA) to replace about 38% of its current fleet by buying at least 250 aircraft for roughly $15 billion, The Wall Street Journal reported.
American, a subsidiary of AMR (AMR), currently flies an all-Boeing fleet. The airline is interested in both Airbus's single-aisle family of A320 airplanes and a new-engine A320 variant that will start flying in 2015, people familiar with the matter told the newspaper.
American also is looking at Boeing's 737 family of airplanes, which include the 737-700 and 737-900, types that aren't currently in the airline's fleet. American has 152 737-800s in its fleet and more on order, according to the Journal.
American, the third-largest U.S. airline, hopes to resolve terms of the airplane order this summer, the people said, the Journal reported.-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV