During the opening months of 2011, the dining industry faced steep hurdles as crop prices powered along a uphill trajectory and eventually revisited the breathtaking levels seen during 2008. In recent weeks, however, the full-steam-ahead action that defined the food industry in the first quarter has subsided as individual pockets of the agriculture spectrum have begun to break away from one another.
Choppy action from agricultural commodities will help relieve some of the pressure weighing on dining establishments underlying PEJ. The leisure industry-tracking PEJ will likely also get a lift as input costs slide. The fund sets aside a substantial portion of its portfolio to restaurants including Starbucks (SBUX), McDonald's (MCD), Yum! Brands (YUM) and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD).
iShares Dow Jones Transportation Average Index Fund (IYT)
The transportation industry should be watched closely as commodities remain shaky. Although the sector as a whole has already held up well throughout the market's multi-week rough patch, the prospects for many top players will likely improve further as fuel prices head south.Last week, for instance, in comments made to Reuters following the company's strong quarterly earnings report, FedEx (FDX) CEO Fred Smith cited falling crude prices as a major advantage for the company as it heads into the second half of the year. As earnings season ramps up in the weeks ahead, other members of the transportation industry like CSX (CSX) will step up the plate and report their respective quarterly numbers and outlooks for the second half of the year. If FedEx's performance is any indication for what is in store for this industry, I expect transports to be a standout performer in the months to come. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV