BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- HomeAway (AWAY) is the latest hotly anticipated initial public offering this year, with shares of the online vacation rental company rising 50% in their debut Wednesday. But other initial share sales made investors more money -- doubling returns in some cases.
This year has already seen its share of super-hyped initial public offerings from companies like LinkedIn (LNKD), ZipCar (ZIP), Pandora (P) and Spirit Airlines (SAVE). Even more have filed for IPOs, including videogame maker Zynga and Groupon.
A total of 77 IPOs have been priced in 2011, a 22% increase from this time last year. More than $25 billion in proceeds have been raised, a 180% jump. The average IPO in 2011 has increased only 8.4% from its offer price, according to Renaissance Capital's IPOHome. That's down from last year's 25% gain but has still managed to beat the benchmark S&P 500 Index's 3.4% return.
Investing in a hot, new IPO is anything but a sure bet, though. Popular companies like ZipCar, FriendFinder Networks (FFN) and RenRen (RENN) are down anywhere from 30% to 60% since their debut earlier this year.Some IPOs have rewarded investors with outsized returns, well above average. TheStreet examined the highest-returning IPOs this year, using data provided by Edgar Online.
10. Responsys (MKTG) Company Profile: Responsys provides on-demand software that enables email-based relationship marketing, allowing marketers to design email campaigns. Return Since IPO: 41.7% IPO Date: April 20 Offer Price: Responsys offered 6.6 million shares at $12 per share Analyst Consensus: Responsys gets high praise from Wall Street firms, as the five analysts following the stock rate it as either "buy" or "outperform," including those at Credit Suisse, JMP Securities and William Blair.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV