Updated from 4:34 a.m. EDT
The discount runs from Wednesday to Sept. 30. Gas purchases must be made with a Walmart gift card, Walmart MoneyCard or Walmart credit card.
"Our customers have told us that high gas prices are a top budget concern, nearly as large an expense to their households as food and groceries," said Stephen Quinn, chief marketing officer, in a statement.The average price for regular gasoline was $3.55 a gallon on Tuesday, according to the American Automobile Association. Last month it was $3.79. A year ago, the price of gas was $2.76 a gallon, according to the AAA. Wal-Mart said gas stations in 18 states are taking part in the rollback. Participating states are Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, the retailer said. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV