The Bridgeport, Conn., lender is set to complete its acquisition of Danvers Bancorp (DNBK) of Danvers, Mass., on Thursday for roughly $458 million in cash and stock.
While the broad indexes rose for the second straight day, with growing confidence in a second European bailout of Greece, bank stocks were mixed.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) inched ahead slightly to 47.06, with 14 of the 24 index components rising for the session.Large U.S. banks seeing shares rise over 1% Tuesday included Capital One Financial (COF), which closed at $51.42; Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB), closing at $12.41; Huntington Bancshares (HBAN), at $6.39; U.S. Bancorp (USB), at $24.87; and Zions Bancorporation (ZION), which closed at $23.09. Tuesday's loser among the largest domestic banks was Goldman Sachs, with shares slipping over 1% to close at $129.26.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV