Our goal in this profile is to help investors wade through the many competing ETF offerings available. Using our long experience as an ETF publication, we can help select those ETFs the matter and may not be repetitive. The result is a more manageable list of issues from which to choose from.
The following analysis features our top selections of small and mid-cap ETFs. We believe these constitute the best index-based offerings individuals and financial advisers may utilize.
Within this category list we include the top small and mid-cap blended ETFs (growth and value) as well as individual selections based on growth or value.Weâ¿¿re not ranking these ETFs so donâ¿¿t let the listing order mislead you. Although we may use a few of these in ETF Digest portfolios, itâ¿¿s not our intention to recommend one over another. These ETFs are based on indices tied to well-known index providers including Russell, S&P, Barclays, MSCI, Dow Jones etc. Uniquely, investors should remember, small and mid-cap issues usually carry higher beta (volatility or higher risk levels) than their large-cap peers. This means during times of higher economic growth combined with accommodative Fed monetary policies (2009-2011) returns in these two sectors will outperform. But, the opposite situation does occur should either of these conditions. Remaining aware of these benefits and risks should be important to every investor. One thing youâ¿¿ll note with charts posted is the similarities in trends and performance. This isnâ¿¿t a coincidence given overall index constituent similarities. Further, the easy money policies of the Fed during the period covered have made performance results hardly distinguishable one from another. MDY (S&P MidCap ETF) is one of the blended which incorporates the growth and value segment of the S&P MidCap 400 Index. It was launched in April 1995 and has AUM (Assets under Management) over $10.5 billion with average daily trading volume just under 2M shares. The expense ratio is .25%; the current dividend is $.44 making the current yield around 1%. As of June 2011, YTD performance has been just under 4%. You should note there are leveraged long and inverse issues that attempt to match the index not to mention futures and options contracts.
Data as of June 2011
MDY Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX): 0.91%
- Cimarex Energy Company (XEC): 0.77%
- BorgWarner, Inc. (BWA): 0.70%
- Lubrizol Corporation (LZ): 0.70%
- Green Mountain Coffee, Inc. (GMCR): 0.63%
- Pride International, Inc. (PDE): 0.63%
- Perrigo Company (PRGO): 0.61%
- Bucyrus International, Inc. A (BUCY): 0.60%
- Ametek, Inc. (AME): 0.60%
- New York Community Bancorp, Inc. (NYB): 0.59%
Data as of June 2011
IJH Top Ten Holdings & Weightings
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX): 0.90%
- Green Mountain Coffee ,Inc. (GMCR): 0.83%
- Lubrizol Corporation (LZ): 0.71%
- Cimarex Energy Company (XEC): 0.67%
- BorgWarner, Inc. (BWA): 0.66%
- Dollar Tree Stores, Inc. (DLTR): 0.65%
- Bucyrus International, Inc. A (BUCY): 0.61%
- SL Green Realty Corporation (SLG): 0.61%
- Pride International, Inc. (PDE): 0.59%
- Perrigo Company (PRGO): 0.58%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV