- The acquisition includes a 57.5% working interest in the 9,700+ acre Riley Ridge Federal Unit and an approximate 33% working interest in an additional +/- 28,000 acres of mineral leases adjoining the Riley Ridge Unit. Denbury will become the operator of both projects. The Company currently estimates that the Riley Ridge Federal Unit contains proved reserves of 250 billion cubic feet (“Bcf”) of natural gas, 8.9 Bcf of helium (“He”) and approximately 1.4 trillion cubic feet (“Tcf”) of carbon dioxide (“CO 2”), net to the interest to be acquired. The additional +/- 28,000 acres is estimated to contain additional probable reserves of 250 to 300 Bcf of natural gas, 9.5 to 11.5 Bcf of helium and 1.0 to 1.2 Tcf of CO 2, net to the interest to be acquired.
- Total proved plus probable CO 2 reserves in the Riley Ridge Unit and adjoining acreage in which the Company has an interest is estimated at approximately 6.1 Tcf (100% working interest), of which the Company’s interest is estimated at approximately 4.5 Tcf after completion of this acquisition.
- The Riley Ridge Unit and the adjoining acreage is located in the prolific LaBarge Field, from which natural gas, helium and CO 2 are currently being produced and sold, which is also the same reservoir from which the Riley Ridge Unit will produce.
- First production of natural gas and helium is expected to occur during the 4 th quarter of 2011.
- The development costs associated with the incremental interest in the Riley Ridge Unit are expected to add approximately $50 million to the Company’s 2011 capital spending, depending upon how much capital is spent between the April 1 effective date and closing.
- Current operations include the completion of the producing wells and completion of the construction of the natural gas and helium processing facilities that will separate the natural gas and helium from the full well stream, which consists of approximately 65% CO 2, 19% natural gas, 5% hydrogen sulfide (“H 2S”), 0.6% He, and the remainder other gases. Initially the operational plans include the re-injection of the CO 2 and H 2S into the producing formation until a planned CO 2 pipeline can be built to the field.
- This acquisition results in Denbury becoming the operator of the project and owning 100% of the working interest in the Riley Ridge Unit. In addition to owning and operating the Riley Ridge Unit, the Company is also acquiring operations and working interests in an adjoining 28,000 acres of which the Company previously only acquired CO 2 rights. The Company has initiated the engineering and design of the CO 2 capture facility for the Riley Ridge Unit, which is estimated to initially capture up to 130 MMcf/d of CO 2. In addition to designing the CO 2 capture facility for Riley Ridge the Company expects to begin preparing the development plan for the adjoining acreage, which when fully developed is expected to add an additional 450 to 500 MMcf/d of CO 2 (100% working interest), or an estimated total CO 2 production from this asset of 580 to 630 MMcf/d (100% working interest). The development plan to achieve these rates may take up to 10 years.
- The purchase price of $191 million consist of a $176 million payment at closing and a $15 million contingent payment to be paid at the time the gas processing facility is operational and meeting specific performance conditions. The existing operator is committed to maintaining and committing the existing development and construction teams to the project until such time as the specific performance conditions are met in order to provide continuity through start-up of the gas processing facility.
- Over the past 15 months, Denbury has been actively securing new sources of CO 2 volumes and, with its new acquisition of Riley Ridge and the adjoining acreage, currently believes it has more CO 2 than it needs to develop its existing CO 2 enhanced oil recovery assets in the Rocky Mountains. These estimated CO 2 volumes consist of the following:
- Riley Ridge ultimate planned capacity - 580 to 630 MMcf/d (Own and Operate)
- Lost Cabin – 50 MMcf/d (under contract from ConocoPhillips)
- LaBarge – 50 MMcf/d (under contract from ExxonMobil)
- Proposed DKRW facility - 200 MMcf/d (under contract from DKRW)
- The Company plans to fund the acquisition through borrowings on its existing bank credit facility.
Denbury Enters Into Agreement To Acquire Operatorship And Remaining Working Interest In The Riley Ridge Project
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.