BERLIN -- Siemens (SI) said a payment to former nuclear joint-venture partner Areva NP will weigh on earnings in the current quarter, although it expects to report a significant increase in orders.
The company said Tuesday orders for its fiscal third quarter, which ends June 30, were boosted by an order for new long-distance trains from German railway Deutsche Bahn. It also expects a "clear" year-on-year revenue increase.
Siemens noted that earnings would be impacted by a ruling in May that it must pay €648 million ($920 million), plus interest, to France's Areva over its decision in 2009 to pull out of a joint venture to build nuclear plants.
It said that because of the payment, quarterly net income should be "slightly above" last year's €1.4 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV