In 2010, the U.S. wind market suffered through its worst year in recent history, and Broadwind shares plummeted. Timing wasn't great for Broadwind shares bottoming out, either, as the company received a big endorsement from JPMorgan's sell side team, a buy call that turned out to be badly timed and burned investors.
Broadwind shares are currently trading at $1.42, vs. a 52-week high of $3.83. It's been more or less straight down for Broadwind shares since the beginning of 2010, when shares were as high as $10.
In its recent investor day presentation, Broadwind noted that revenue had improved year over year, from $21.7 million in the first quarter of 2010 to $43.5 million in the first quarter of 2011. The company's wind tower business saw revenue increase year over year from $12 million to $28.2 million. The company's gearing business, where it is shifting focus to traditional energy and mining, increased revenue year over year in the first quarter from $7.7 million to $13.6 million.However, it's important for investors to remember that the year-over-year comparisons include the trough year of 2010 in the U.S. wind sector. Any improvement does not necessarily equate to sustianable improvement and share growth.
|Peter Duprey, CEO Broadwind Energy|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV