NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Safety in retail stocks is a bit of an oxymoron.
The sector has been wrought with fear, as sales fell in May for the first time in 11 months, and the companies face rising sourcing costs and shaky consumer sentiment.
But relatively speaking, the best place to ride out this summer's inflationary pressures is in luxury, according to analysts.
Goldman Sachs' U.S. luxury department store same-store sales index increased 13.2% in May, a significant acceleration for March/April trends of 7% to 8% and February's 11.8% increase."The acceleration is likely a function of higher input costs being passed on to the customer, with little to no corresponding offset in units," Goldman analyst Andrianne Shapira wrote in a recent research note. "This is in stark contrast to the mid-tier, which is seeing units decline as average unit retail rises." Luxury valuations are also at a historical premium, trading 20% above long-term averages, as the market drives a wedge between the high and low end. "Our analysis suggests that the higher income customer is better suited to absorb inflation across apparel, food and fuel, and the luxury premium is reflective of this," Shapira wrote. Read on for a look at the luxury stocks best positioned for the summer's headwinds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV