Citi had had previously said that the data breach had exposed 360,083 bank accounts, revealing names, account numbers and email addresses of customers. Citi said other sensitive information including social security numbers, dates of birth, card expiration dates and card security codes had not been exposed.
However, it now appears that customers did suffer financial losses. A Citi spokesperson said he could not comment on how the money had been stolen, but that the breach itself had not contributed any information that was sufficient to perpetrate fraud.
Citi has said before that customers will not be liable for any fraud on their accounts and are "100% protected".Citi has come under attack for failing to disclose the breach sooner. . The bank defended its response to the hack, saying it had immediately rectified the data breach upon discovery and had launched an immediate investigation to determine the number of accounts and information hacked. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV