XLI Poised to Soar
Published 6/21/2011 2:37 p.m. EDT
The popular SPDR Select Industrial ETF (XLI) continues to trek upward this afternoon in the wake of positive global trading and news from the Paris Air Show, which is well known among aviation enthusiasts as well as industrial stock traders. The event provides a forum for large firms such as Boeing (BA) and Airbus to discuss industry conditions.
Industry insiders have been predicting a good showing for aircraft orders, and Airbus already started on a positive note Monday. General Electric (GE) also placed a large order for "new engine option" (NEO) models.The "NEO" models are designed to address the issue of fuel savings. In a year when oil prices have wildly fluctuated, energy continues to be a hot topic. The Paris Air Show ends on Sunday, but positive news from top XLI components, including BA and GE, could help to lift the fund higher as the week progresses. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Aerospace & Defense ETF (ITA) may be a more focused fund, but it lacks the liquidity needed for any kind of short-term trading. At the time of publication, Dion Money Management had no positions in securities mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV