"There probably were cases where documentation was not as good as it should be, but when they saw the robosigning with the mortgage sector, all of them went through their processes and said 'Okay, let's make sure we don't have the same problem.'"
That said, Berlin says the regulatory environment has gotten a lot tougher and clearly remains an issue that needs to be monitored. He has an "equal weight" on Asset Acceptance and an "over weight" recommendation on the other two companies. He believes the banks have also tightened up their procedures on credit card debt collection in the wake of the robosigning scandal, though he acknowledges he does not follow them as closely.
A spokeswoman for Encore declined to comment. Spokespeople for the other companies mentioned in this story had no immediate response to questions.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV