The Golden Arches' McCafe menu, which offers specialty coffees and espresso drinks along with regular coffee, is practically engaged in a market share battle to steal away penny-pinched customers from coffee behemoth Starbucks.
Selling coffee is more profitable than donuts, Bloomberg reported, and Krispy Kreme's Morgan has plans to roll out signature coffee blends, espressos and lattes over the next 18 months as it looks to capture a piece of that lucrative market.
Like Dunkin' Donuts, which also added lattes and specialty coffee drinks to its menu in recent years, Krispy Kreme's efforts come with the company's understanding that being a one-trick pony likely won't cut it forever. Dunkin' has long offered bagels, sandwiches, wraps and muffins, hoping to bring diners in not just for their morning coffee-and-a-donut fix but for lunch as well.Sugar-loving purists need not worry, however. Krispy Kreme is also reportedly testing a new donut milkshake in its home state of North Carolina. If the beverage proves successful in the test market, it could make its way to Krispy Kreme locations nationwide. -- Written by Miriam Marcus Reimer in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Miriam Reimer. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/miriamsmarket. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
>>See our new stock quote page. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV