WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (TheStreet) -- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD) will add oatmeal, yogurt and fruit juice to its menu as it looks to ramp up sales and compete with healthier food options offered by Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks (SBUX) and McDonald's (MCD).
CEO James Morgan is adding the new menu items in an effort to maintain the momentum of Krispy Kreme's last quarter report when it booked a profit of $9.17 million on sales on $104.6 million, more than twice its year-earlier results.
He also sensed that customers were looking for something more than just hot glazed donuts, Morgan told Bloomberg. "We weren't getting a lot of verbal complaints," he said. "But we also were not getting the sales we thought we should."Adding healthier food options and specialty coffees to fast-food menus has been a growing trend. McDonald's began offering salads years ago. It also famously added oatmeal to its breakfast menu recently as well. But one critic argued that with the addition of brown sugar, maple flavoring, fruit and raisins, the item "has about the same amount of sugar as a Snickers bar, has about the same amount of calories as one of their hamburgers, costs more than one of their hamburgers," said Mark Bittman, a food author and blogger for The New York Times. (But that's another matter).
Starbucks also offers hot oatmeal, with options to add brown sugar, dried fruit and a nut medley. Next Page...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV