Host Hotels & Resorts
Upscale hotelier Host Hotels & Resorts (HST) claims the title of the biggest dividend increase last week, a 50% jump to 3 cents per share. In part, a big reason for the company's ability to increase payouts so much is that it was so small to begin with; even now, a dividend yield of 0.30% is little reason to consider shares in and of itself. But that doesn't mean this stock's investment case should be ignored.
Because of its REIT status, Host is obligated to pay out the vast majority of its income as a distribution to shareholders. While the company was better situated than peers during the height of the recession, its upscale positioning meant that the business still got hit hard. While upscale properties did see a sizable increase in 2009, investors shouldn't forget that the increase came on already discounted high-end room rates, squeezing margins and hammering profitability.Host has made some major fundamental improvements in the last year, but I still don't like the tenuous nature of its margins. I'd suggest waiting for improved earnings -- and dividend payouts -- before becoming a buyer of this stock. Host shows up on a recent list of 8 Hotel and Resort Stocks With Upside To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV