American Water Works
American Water Works (AWK), one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated water utility stocks, is a good example of the idea that dividend stocks statistically provide better capital gains than their nonpaying brethren. Shares of this $5.2 billion water utility have rallied more than 16% year-to-date despite softness in the market.
While the 4.5% dividend hike declared last week makes AWK the smallest percentage-increase of the week, the company's current 3.13% yield makes the smaller increase more than justified.As the country's largest public water utility, American Water Works is a unique way to get exposure to high-yielding utilities without any exposure to the energy business. The vast majority of AWK's operations are regulated legal monopolies -- the balance frankly aren't appealing enough for potential competitors to spend massive capital outlays on only to play second fiddle to American Water Works. The capital outlays are a conspicuous element of AWK's balance sheet. Due to its sizable infrastructure network, the company carries a large debt load. While major obligations are a bit of a concern for shareholders, the company's cash flow generation skills and utility status mean that this name is a solid alternative for income investors looking to get away from the typical energy providers. >>Practice your stock trading strategies and win cash in our stock game.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV